The Lion King (NZ)
29 Upcoming Events
New Zealand29 Events
- Jun 25Jun25Find ticketsFri 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jun 26Jun26Find ticketsSat 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jun 27Jun27Find ticketsSun 1:00 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jun 27Jun27Find ticketsSun 6:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jun 29Jun29Find ticketsTue 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)
- Jun 30Jun30Find ticketsWed 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)
- Jul 01Jul01Find ticketsThu 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 02Jul02Find ticketsFri 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 03Jul03Find ticketsSat 2:00 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 03Jul03Find ticketsSat 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 04Jul04Find ticketsSun 1:00 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 04Jul04Find ticketsSun 6:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 06Jul06Find ticketsTue 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)
- Jul 07Jul07Find ticketsWed 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)
- Jul 08Jul08Find ticketsThu 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)
- Jul 09Jul09Find ticketsFri 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 10Jul10Find ticketsSat 2:00 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 10Jul10Find ticketsSat 7:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 11Jul11Find ticketsSun 1:00 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
- Jul 11Jul11Find ticketsSun 6:30 PMSpark Arena - Auckland, NZThe Lion King (NZ)Low Availability
100 million people worldwide have witnessed the phenomenon that is Disney’s THE LION KING and finally New Zealand audiences can experience this unparalleled theatrical experience for themselves.
Michael Cassel Group, in association with Disney Theatrical Productions, and local presenting partner Spark Arena are proud to announce that Disney’s THE LION KING will premiere in New Zealand in June this year.
After a hiatus of over a year, The Lion King International Tour will finally be back on stage and thrilling audiences - and Aotearoa has been chosen as the host!
THE LION KING will open for a strictly limited season on Thursday, 24th June 2021 at Spark Arena in Auckland, in a specially designed theatre-mode layout.
“There is simply nothing else like it” The New York Times
“A perfect marriage of entertainment and art” – New York Daily News
THE LION KING is a worldwide phenomenon that redefines the expectations of theatre. Having played in over 100 cities in 20 countries, over 100 million people have experienced it, making it the most successful musical in theatrical history. The acclaimed director, Julie Taymor, has created a spectacular show for Kiwi audiences who will be treated to extraordinary performances by a talented and diverse international company, comprising 16 nationalities. Joining them will be five talented local young Kiwi performers to be selected by way of an open audition.
“We at Disney Theatrical, and our partner Michael Cassel, are delighted that the world-renowned stage production The Lion King will finally have its New Zealand premiere this winter,” said Thomas Schumacher President & Producer, Disney Theatrical Productions. “Julie Taymor and her creative team have realized a production of enormous scale, beauty and heart. I cannot wait for Kiwi audiences to experience it.”
Producer, Michael Cassel said, “To be able to share the joy of Julie Taymor’s spectacular production with audiences once again after such a difficult year for our arts and entertainment industry is a wonderful feeling. To do so in an entirely new country is beyond exciting. Auckland audiences can look forward to a truly authentic Broadway experience, delivered by our incredible international cast.”
On behalf of local presenter Spark Arena Michael Coppel said, “Spark Arena is incredibly proud to be hosting this amazing production. This will be the first time that THE LION KING has been staged in New Zealand and the scale of this production is way beyond any other theatre experience previously seen in Auckland. Its array of colours, fantastic staging and costume design, and the larger than life beloved characters along with the brilliant music of Sir Elton John and Tim Rice, make THE LION KING the perfect entertainment for all ages"
Auckland Unlimited, on behalf of Auckland Council, supports the event.
Auckland Unlimited Head of Major Events Richard Clarke said it is fantastic to have this global masterpiece come to Auckland. “There is an appetite for a range of events – from homegrown entertainment to this world- class production and Tāmaki Makaurau is the place to experience it all. It is great to have this event in our backyard – not only will it support our creative industries but also boost our tourism sector,” Clarke said.
This international tour of THE LION KING premiered in Manila in March 2018 and has continued to break box office records everywhere it has played, including Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. With packed audiences on their feet every night in each city it plays, it is thrilling to announce news of the premiere New Zealand season.
For further information about THE LION KING, click here.
Monday No Show
Saturday 2.00pm & 7.30pm
Sunday 1.00pm & 6.30pm
From Thursday 24th June 2021 – Sunday 18th July.
The full performance schedule can be found above.
Ticket prices range from $65* to $245*, and vary by seating location, performance date and time.
Please note * that an additional 2.3% credit card charge and land levy up to $4.95 per ticket apply. A once-off fee of $8.00 per transaction applies.
Concession prices are available on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday performances in Gold, Silver and Bronze Seating.
Concessions apply to seniors, pensioners, full time students with ID and children under 13 years.
Full schedule and pricing is available here.
Make your experience of THE LION KING last with a limited-edition Collector Ticket. A Collector Ticket is a souvenir, 3D-style ticket that gets you into the performance and serves as a treasured keepsake well after the show is over. To purchase, simply select "Collector Ticket" specifically when choosing your ticket type.
Collector tickets can only be delivered to fans via mail, and cannot be sent as Print-at-Home or E-Tickets, or collected from outlets or the venue.
Find out more here.
There are no group discounts for The Lion King Auckland.
However, if you wish to purchase more than 8 tickets and all sit together, please contact Ticketmaster groups department on
PH: 09 970 9700
However, due to the high demand for tickets for this event, we expect that many performances will sell out quickly.
Spark Arena is located on Mahuhu Crescent at the edge of the CBD. It is both accessible and highly visible from Beach Road and Quay Street and within easy reach of public transport, hotels and restaurants.
For more information on the venue’s services and amenities, as well as its policies, please visit the venues website here.
Running time is approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes, including a 20 minute intermission.
Children 2 and under are free on the knee – THE LION KING is recommended for a general audience. We recommend THE LION KING for ages 6 and up.
The season commences on Thursday 24th June 2021 and closes on Sunday 18th July 2021.
This is the international tour of The Lion King and will not be travelling to any other location in New Zealand.
There is a lock out period at the start of Act 1 and Act 2. Latecomers will not be seated until a suitable break in the performance.
We recommend arriving at least 45 minutes prior to the show start time noted on your ticket.
Please note, should you need to leave the theatre at any time during the performance, be aware that there may be a delay to you being re-admitted into the performance as there are various lock out periods during the show.
Once the performance commences, photography or videoing – including that on mobile phones – is NOT permitted.
THE LION KING contains theatrical smoke and fog effects as well as strobe lighting during parts of the show.
There is no dress code for Spark Arena. For all performances, attire should be comfortable and appropriate for the occasion. The venue is airconditioned throughout the year.
There is an 8 ticket limit per household. All orders will be reviewed for duplicate accounts, bots or other means being used to circumvent the 8 ticket limit. Fraudulent ticket orders may be cancelled without notice.
Why the limit? The ticket limit is in place to allow as many people as possible the opportunity to purchase tickets for THE LION KING.
As with all ticket purchases, we recommend that you check / confirm dates and times of the performance you intend to purchase before completing the checkout on Ticketmaster.
There are no refund or exchanges on tickets once they are purchased if you change your mind or for personal reasons.
Wheelchair users have access to specially designated spots in row V in the Lower Bowl, accessible via the foyer elevator. When booking tickets, please note that Doors 13-18 are closest to the elevators and Doors 1-3 are on the ground floor. Companion seating is available and must be reserved at the time of booking. For more information on accessible seating, click here.
Accessible seating can now be purchased online or over the phone.
If you are having difficulty with accessibility seats online, please call 09 970 9711 or visit www.ticketmaster.co.nz/help.
Service Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00am – 7:30 pm; Saturday – Sunday 9:00am – 5:00pm (excludes Public Holidays).
Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for audiences, cast and the venue is of paramount importance.
- If you are unwell, with any Covid-19 symptoms, please contact customer service by submitting a request no later than 10AM on the day of performance and we will work with you to exchange your tickets for a future performance (subject to availability).
- If you are travelling from another region or are an international traveller and are unable to attend the performance due to travel or quarantine restrictions, please submit a request no later than a week before your performance and we will work with you to exchange your tickets for a future performance (subject to availability).
- Exchanges are subject to availability at the time of exchange and must be of equal value of the original ticket(s) purchased. If you wish to exchange to a higher priced ticket(s), you will be asked to pay the difference in ticket price.
- In those cases, if after following the above processes we are unable to facilitate an exchange for another performance, a refund will be offered.
- No exchanges or refunds can be provided after the deadlines listed above or after a performance date unless required by applicable law.
- Please note: we can only assist those who purchased their Lion King tickets on Ticketmaster New Zealand, the authorised ticket seller for Spark Arena, or through approved travel package partners. If you purchased tickets through any other avenue, please contact the seller directly to learn more about their refund and exchange policy.
Spark Arena will operate in accordance with its Covid Safe Plan with the goal of ensuring that your experience at the arena is made as safe as reasonably possible. The Covid Safe Plan applicable at the time of your visit will be made available on the venues website here.
If you selected mobile ticket delivery, tickets will be delivered via My Account on the Ticketmaster website and available to you from 72 hours prior to your selected performance.
If you selected venue collection for your tickets, they will be available on the day of the performance only. Tickets must be collected and personally signed for by the credit card holder who is the only person authorised to collect tickets. For identification purposes the credit card holder must present personal ID, the credit card which was used when purchasing the tickets and the account confirmation number at the time of collection.
If you cannot find or do not receive your mobile tickets (from 72 hours before the performance only), we recommend the following:
- Log into your online Ticketmaster account to access your mobile tickets and double-check to ensure all details are correct.
- Contact Ticketmaster customer service by submitting a request.
Lost or replacement tickets can only be obtained at the venue box office prior to the performance and will only be issued to the original ticket purchaser / Ticketmaster account holder upon showing valid ID.
If you selected COLLECTOR TICKETS, these will be mailed to your address and will arrive a minimum of 3 days prior to your performance.
If it is within 3 days of your event and your Collector Tickets have not arrived in the post, please click here to submit an enquiry through our webpage and include your event name and “Collector Tickets Not Arrived” as the subject.
You can get the official THE LION KING merchandise at the venue or online via Disney Shopping. The live cast recording is available through Amazon, iTunes and other retailers.